Great Design For Better Living

Working for a community of interaction and sharing ideas

***

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

(Add a comment by clicking on the comment button following each entry)

Also visit Meredith's web site: http://www.meredithbranchdesign.com/


Tuesday, July 24, 2012

EVIDENCE-BASED DESIGN and ELLSWORTH KELLY

Last week I saw the Ellsworth Kelly exhibit at the Portland Art Museum.  I love his work, but I had to leave early.  Why?
Well, although Kelly says he is not focusing on graphics in his work, the high contrast and graphic nature of his work brought on the tell-tell bright white light that tells me a migraine is coming my way.

See what I mean:









Artists don't have to worry about function so much, but interior designers do.

 In design school I learned always to have at least one reason for any choice (and "I like it"  is not one), and to always think about function or effect.  For example, I learned to consider color choices in terms of their effects.  Stuff like:  yellow is intellectually stimulating (so it goes on the walls of schools - remember that pale stuff we all endured?);  red is a color we respond quickly to, but then it tires us out a little (so it goes in brothels!); or photos of nature are soothing and even curative (great for hospitals and clinics).

This was just part of design.  I didn't learn the words "evidence-based design"  until recently.
And I think it is just another way of describing good design.  Steve Jobs had it right when he said:

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you dig deeper, it's really how it works.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/steve_jobs.html#WrFkyusJmYW0JdIW.99


No comments: